A common feature of a real estate equity waterfall, the preferred return or “pref” can be particularly tricky for investors who are not familiar with its permutations. Not all prefs are calculated in the same way. In this article, we explain the different types of prefs and walk you through several examples to distinguish these prefs from other frequently conflated topics such as the “preferred equity” or “pref equity” position in the capital stack.
Articles in this section
- What is a Real Estate Sponsor Promote?
- How can I increase my chances of participating in a high-demand deal?
- What is the purpose of the Investor Forum?
- Will I have exposure to UBTI?
- Accreditation FAQ
- What are the Differences Between Direct and Indirect (REIT) Real Estate Investments?
- What is a Cap Rate?
- What is a Cash-on-Cash Return?
- Oversubscription FAQ
- How do I become a Sponsor on the CrowdStreet platform